terça-feira, 13 de dezembro de 2016

Music interpretation: The 1975 - This must be my dream

"I personify the adolescent on a phone
Speaking like I'm bigger than my body
I personify that lack of freedom in your life
And I'm sure she'll be gone in a second"

The first sentence of the song is related to the imagination of the person who is singing, in his head he creates a figure of a young girl speaking at the phone, saying that she is bigger than her body; this phrase is related to think about goals and capacities that are way bigger than our bodies or physical limitations. At the same time, the guy also thinks about the lack of freedom of the person who is the reference for the girl he created in his mind, in the real life this person has many limitations and incapacities, but all these things that hold and creat limitations, to the real person, will be gone in a second, because in the imagination all these limitations can be destroyed, allowing the development of someone bigger and stronger than ever. 


"Let me tell you 'bout this girl
I thought she'd rearrange my world
Takes a particular type of girl
To put my heart under arrest
So why is this feeling on my chest?"

He keeps talking about this girl in his imagination; in his mind he thought that she could rearrange his world, could give him coherence and a well defined structure of his world, of his thoughts, destroying doubts and, consequently, the despair. While he is thinking about this kind of girl, who can do such things, he starts to think about previous girls who did that with him, he came to the conclusion that it takes a rare and special type of girl to make he feels like that, to allow him to direct his mind towards someone, to creat an illusion based on a person; the rarity of this occurrence makes him doubt of the reality of this feeling, of his mind developments.


"(This must be my dream)
Wide awake before I found you
(This must be my dream)
I can't wait for you boy
(Wake me from my dream)
What does all our love amount to?
(This must be my dream)
We can't make love when you fly around me baby"

After questioning himself, he came to the conclusion that this must be only a dream, that this must exist only in his mind, only in his deep and unware thoughts. He also starts to questioning about what this love is equivalent, what this really means. At the end he came to the conclusion that he cannot have a relationship with this girl, because she is just flying around him, she is not real and exists only in his imagination.


"Pipe down, you're no lover
This feeling keeps your body tune
Well, I thought it was love but I guess I must be dreaming
'Bout feeling something instead of you"

He keeps saying to himself to calm down, to let it go, because is not real, but, despite the unreal aspect, this feeling is able to keep his body tuned, makes him feel better. He thought it could be love, but maybe he just created a huge and unreal character in his mind, taking as reference someone that is not equal to the person created, his "ghost" is not equivalent to the real person.


"What did I tell you 'bout this girl?
The one to rearrange your world?
You got excited and now you find out that
Your 'girl' won't even get you undressed
Or care about your beating chest"

He starts to question what he could tell about the girl who he created in his mind, the one who could be able to make him feel better, who could rearrange his world… he says that she makes him fells better at the beginning, but after the discovery of the unreality of this thought, of the incapacity of the girl in his imagination to care about him, to really be around him, to touch him, he just deconstruct what he was feeling, he just don’t care and doesn’t believe in his deep creations and interpretations, and put his effort in letting aside this feeling and this unreal interpretation. But even knowing all that, he probably cannot forget it, he cannot just let it go.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário